Monday, August 11, 2008

First Week

Thanks for creating this blog, Sheree! Last week was great for me as well. Somehow this group effort has made me excited to jump in to eating more healthy and exercising daily. (Also Michelle's dedication at Pagosa was a very positive influence -- thank you, Michelle!) I haven't even missed sugar or white flour this week which is a small miracle which I owe to the group dynamic.

I've decided to follow the Body For Life workout program for exercise which has been fun. Dan's doing it too -- as well as a friend of his from work. My arms were pretty sore the first time I did arms and my first cardio was pretty tough...you know me -- I'm not that excited about powering up in a run -- I like my slow and steady pace. But I've known that I need to work harder to get faster and stronger so this has been good for me.

Marty and Christopher have also been doing no sugar, no white flour and no fried foods so I've been extra motivated to cook healthier for our whole family. They really wanted pizza last week so I made a whole wheat crust (easy in the Cuisinart, but just takes planning to have time to let it rise). It was fun and a hit. We've also got LOTS of HUGE zucchinis in our garden so I made Zucchini bread last night with whole wheat graham flour, Agave for sweetner and applesauce instead of oil (only because I realized I was out of oil). Everyone loved it. I'd like to try the recipe again and fine tune it a little -- maybe add more zucchini and try with whole wheat pastry flour instead or a half and half mixture.

Apples and peanut butter has been my favorite snack. Xocai chocolate is my favorite treat.

No comments: